what is lip augmentation?
Pittsburgh cosmetic surgeon, Dr. James Fernau, has created gorgeous results for countless women seeking lip enhancement surgery. Women who wish to have fuller lips may consider a lip enhancement procedure, which will place silicone implants or fillers inside the lips to add volume and shape. Implants will produce a result that is permanent and may be used in the upper, lower or both lips. They come in a variety of materials, shapes and sizes to match the patient’s preferences. If a patient decides that a less permanent treatment is desired, injectable fillers provide beautiful results. Fillers are performed with an injection that may consist of collagen, a fat transfer or other substance. They are not permanent and usually last between 6-12 months.
what are the Lip augmentation Options?
- Silicone Implants: Lip enhancement using implants places a solid implant according to preferred size and shape that will increase volume in the lips. The result will look and feel natural, especially after several months when the implant is settled in its position. This is a permanent enhancement that can also be removed if the patient desires. The majority of surgeons use two implant types that are available today: Advanta Lip, which uses a synthetic Gore-Tex material that offers a fuller result with a firmer feel; and PermaLip, which is a solid silicone material that offers a soft, natural result.
- AlloDerm: Another alternative to silicone is a tissue matrix that is fabricated using the dermis that is harvested and processed from cadavers. This is rendered acellular and so any rejection is very rare. As this is porous, natural tissues within the lips will be able to integrate through it further enhancing the natural appearance of the augmentation. It is inserted the same way a silicone implant is placed.
- Fat Filler: Also known as fat transfer, fat deposits are harvested from the patient’s own body by means of liposuction. These collected fats are purified and reinstated with tiny syringes into the lips. The doctor will take the extra measure of reinstating the fat tissues, slowly layering the filler to reshape the lips to meet the patient’s aesthetic desires.
- Injectable Filler: This is a popular way to enhance the lips in a nonsurgical manner. Fillers are made from substances that are found naturally within the body such the hyaluronic acid or collagen based solutions. The result is realistic and looks and feels natural. Fillers produce beautiful results, however, they are considered short-term and reinjection is advised every 6 months.
What are the benefits of lip augmentation?
Lip augmentations at our Pittsburgh, PA office provide fuller, plumper lips that will also give you longer-term results than injectable approaches. At Dr. James Fernau Plastic Surgery, lip augmentations provide the additional benefits:
- Plumping and filling in thin lips
- Giving volume to the face
- Balancing out asymmetrical lips
- Enhancing your overall facial aesthetic
- Restoring age-related loss of volume to the face
- Beautiful, natural-looking results
Lip Augmentation Reviews
"Not only are all of the members here beautiful/handsome, but I have always had the best experience at this office for years. Everyone is so nice and i love that they are all perfectionists with their injections! Shelia makes my lips perfect every…single… time. Amber is always a great second eye to help with if anywhere needs anything extra. And Dr. Fernau—well just the best! He keeps them all so up-to-date with the newest and best treatments and care. I’m so glad and blessed to have had them do my injections before every big event in my life! Thanks for always being the best!!!!! I always look forward to going back for more!!!"- K.B. / Google / Jan 25, 2023
"4th time getting lip filler from them! Wouldn't go anywhere else to get it done. Great team💙"- E.L. / Google / Feb 09, 2023
"Dr. Fernau and Amber were absolutely amazing. I got my lips done and could not be happier with the results. They explained all of the options to me and addressed any concerns and questions that I had. It was clear the whole team is extremely knowledgeable. I felt very comfortable and at ease during the whole thing. I walked out of the office feeling like a million bucks! The entire staff was super friendly. I highly, highly recommend! :)"- M.T. / Google / Feb 13, 2023
"Dr. Fernau and his staff are so kind and nice! I went in a little apprehensive, hoping to have my lips filled enough to bring back what I've lost in the past several years, and this procedure did NOT disappoint! I feel confident that Dr. Fernau truly listened to what I wanted, was gentle, and skillful. Special shout to Amber! Thank you sooo much!!"- M.S. / Google / Mar 02, 2023
"i got lip filler from Dr. James Fernau and it was absolutely amazing!! zero pain as well. will definitely be going back"- A.S. / Google / Feb 25, 2023
how is lip augmentation performed?
The surgical technique employed with lip augmentation depends on the type of material used.
For implants, incisions will be made on the outer corner of the mouth and the implant is inserted through a tunnel that the plastic surgeon creates. The scars are concealed as the incisions are made along the natural lip line, and the sutures are so fine that once dissolved, they are unnoticeable.
For injectable fillers, incisions are not necessary. The substance will be injected using a small, fine needle directly into the lips. During this process, the doctor manipulates the shaping of the filler by putting pressure on the lips where it is needed.
how long is recovery from lip augmentation?
Lip enhancement using an implant product will generally be performed under general anesthesia in an accredited surgical facility. It is considered outpatient and the entire process is usually concluded within an hour. Injectable fillers require no anesthesia, however, a local numbing medication is usually used. After the procedure, the lips will be swollen and there may be bruising present. This will go away after a few days and the patient will instantly see results of the treatment. It may take a few more weeks for the best results to show.
how much does lip augmentation cost?
Lip augmentation surgery fees can run up to $5,000. Injections average between $300 to $500 (per syringe of filler). Although injectable fillers are less expensive than a single lip enhancement surgery, reinjection is needed to maintain the desired results. Patients may decide that a more permanent solution is worthwhile and can consider implants to save in the long run.
Plan Your Procedure
- Average Cost
- $3,000 - $4,500
- Recovery Time
- 2 Weeks
- Average Procedure Time
- 1-2 Hours
- Post-op Follow-up
- 2 Weeks
- Procedure Recovery Location
Lip Augmentation FAQ
Solid or Liquid Fillers?
It depends. Both solid implants and injectable fillers have their advantages and disadvantages. Patients need to consider the longevity and maintenance of both options. Solid implants are permanent while injectable fillers need reinjection every 6 months. Patients may opt to see the effects a filler will have on the lips first and realize lip augmentation is not for them. The pros and cons of both can be discussed during the initial consultation.
How Real Will It Look?
Technology today is able to design implants that produce great results when it comes to providing a natural look and feel. Optimal results are achieved when implants settle and integrate with the natural tissues of the lips. It is important to find a surgeon who has the necessary skills and experience when it comes to lip enhancement treatment.
Can I Have It Removed?
Yes. Silicone implants are easier to remove than porous implants but both are removable with a secondary surgery. Liquid fillers go away naturally over time as the substance is absorbed by the body, although a minimal fraction may be retained and may take a while before fully absorbed.
Will There Be Scars?
With implants, incisions are placed along the natural lip line and the scar will be barely noticeable. Fillers inserted by injection will not have any scars at all. It is important to take extra care of the surgery wounds according to doctor’s prescriptions to avoid any infections.