Meet Dr. Fernau
Board-certified plastic surgeon, Dr. James Fernau, is a second-generation physician in private practice in Pittsburgh, PA. Named as one of America’s “Top Doctors” by the American Consumer Research Council seven years in a row, Dr. Fernau specializes in cosmetic, plastic and reconstructive surgery. His privately owned practice, the Pittsburgh Accent on Body, puts client satisfaction and safety first, and he is commonly known among patients as having a warm and caring, and very knowledgeable staff. His patients consider him one of the best plastic surgeons in the Pittsburgh area.
- Chairman of the Patient Safety Committee for The American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery
- Chairman of the Patient Safety Committee for the International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery
- Assistant to the National Secretary for the International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery
Dr. Fernau's Passion
In his early days growing up in Wyoming, young James Fernau watched his father take care of the community and would often go on house visits with him. He marveled as to how his father – who was a family doctor – loved every aspect of his profession, and how he was well respected by the people and the community in which he served. James decided early on to devote his life to taking care of others.
Education and Training
On the road to becoming a doctor and a surgeon, Dr. Fernau received his bachelor’s degree, graduating summa cum laude from the University of Wyoming. He received his medical degree from the University of Utah, where he graduated in the Top 10% of his class. This earned him the honor of Alpha Omega Alpha and was voted as an Outstanding Graduate. During the course of his professional practice, Dr. James Fernau has received numerous awards for advanced education, as recognized by the American Society for Plastic Surgery. He continues to advance his knowledge and training from year to year so that he can continue to be the best plastic surgeon for his patients. For instance, Dr. Fernau recently did an intensive training with Dr. Barry DiBernardo, a board certified plastic surgeon based out of New Jersey that has extensive experience with some of the newest, promising technologies, such as Smartlipo, Cellulaze, and PrecisionTx.
Specialties and Skills
Dr. Fernau’s background in reconstructive surgery has given him an eye for beauty and perfection in the human anatomy. It has also provided him with great expertise in the field of cosmetic surgery. He precisely tailors every treatment plan, based on the desires of each patient, to ensure their overall satisfaction with the anticipated outcomes. Patients will also find that he creates world-class body enhancements, such as breast augmentations with gummy bear implants, breast lifts, Brazilian tummy tucks, body lifts, liposuction, Brazilian buttock lifts, and Brazilian buttock augmentations. Additionally, his Aesthetic Surgery Center and Medical Spa provides comprehensive skincare services, laser hair removal, vein treatment, acne scar removal, BOTOX and filler treatment for the correction of facial wrinkles. Dr. Fernau is also a certified NeoGraft Specialist.
In addition to maintaining a thriving plastic surgery practice, Dr. Fernau is dedicated to giving back to the local community in various ways. He assists the women of Pittsburgh who require cosmetic or reconstructive surgery due to trauma, and focuses on the Women’s Shelter in Pittsburgh to fulfill this. In addition, he does pro bono surgery, working with one child per month offering such procedures as otoplasty (ear pinning) and other cosmetic treatment work.
University of Wyoming, Laramie, Wyoming, B.S. Zoology, 1977-1981
University of Utah, Salt lake City, Utah, M.D., 1982-1986
Mount Carmel Medical Center, Columbus, Ohio, General Surgery, 1986-1987
University of Pittsburgh, School of Eye and Ear Hospital Otolaryngology, 1987-1991
University of Utah, School of Medicine, Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Plastic Surgery, 1991-1993
Richard A Mladick, M.D., Virginia Beach, VA, Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, April 1993 and May 1993
Raul Gonzalez, M.D., Ribeirao Preto, Brazil, Brazilian Buttock Implants/ Body Contouring May- June 2012
- The American Board of Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery
- The American Board of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- The American Board of Plastic Surgery, Re-certification Exam
Awards and Honors
- American Society of Plastic Surgery Certificate of Special Recognition for Community Service and Volunteerism
- ASAPS Certificate of Advanced Education in Cosmetic Surgery (2001-2015)
- Consumers Research Council of America, “Top Surgeon” (2007-2015)
- Excellence in Plastic Surgery Award, by National Institute of Medicine
- Distinguished Consultant to the National Institute of Medicine
- Patient Safety Committee American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons (Current)
- Patient Safety Committee International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons (Current)
- International Committee for American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons (Past)
- University of Pittsburgh Medical School
- West Virginia University School of Medicine
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS)
- The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
- International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ISAPS)
- American Society for Laser Medicine and Surgery (ACLMS)
- Fellow American College of Surgeons (FACS)
- American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery (AAO-HNS)
- American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (AAFPRS)
- The Rhinoplasty Society
"Dear Dr. Fernau: I don't know how I got so lucky to have you as my surgeon but I am soooo thankful I did. God has truly been good to me by placing me in your care. I want you to know how much I really appreciate all you do for your patients (Especially me!) Love,"
"Dr Fernau is the best. Personable, smart, honest and informative. His skills are amazing! He transformed my body from flabby and saggy to bold and beautiful ! Tummy and love handles gone. New breasts and new butt ! He performed my surgery far beyond my expectations. My postoperative care was wonderful. His staff is also amazing. I would send any friend or any family member to him."
"Hi my name is Dannielle R, I recently had Rhinoplasty done by Dr. Fernau. I just want to say he is truly a gifted Artist in his field of both ENt specialist, as well as an extraordinary plastic surgeon. I met with several ENt doctors but none of them made me feel comfortable like Dr. Fernau did, and to me that's very important to have a rapport with whom ever you chose to do a life changing surgery such as what I had done. I'm so glad I chose Dr. Fernau him and his staff are very professional and have an A+ in customer service and that is very important to me, Anything else I consider getting done I'm going to Dr. Fernau."
"Nine months ago Dr Fernau performed a facelift and a forehead left and a neck left and eyelid surgery and my results are amazing. My friends tell me I look 15 years younger. He also performed laser resurfacing of my scars free of charge and you cannot see any scars on my face lift incisions. I am extremely impressed by his nurses and staff as they have treated me so well and answered all of my questions. Dr Fernau keeps up with the latest technology and I am going to have a NeoGraft no incision hair transplant performed by him and his staff. Also he has his own aesthetician and I have gone to her for many micro dermabrasion's and she has placed me on a skin care regimen which I really like."
"I had liposuction of my hip rolls and abdomen and the fat put in my butt and a silicone gel augmentation. I love my results ! Dr Fernau is excellent and professional. His staff is the same. I would send friends and family to him."