How Should Breast Augmentation Patients Sleep After Surgery?
Breast augmentation has become one of the most well-known cosmetic procedures in the U.S. But, as with any surgery, it's essential to follow all post-operative instructions for a safe and speedy recovery. Accent on Body Aesthetic Plastic Surgery & Medical Spa recommends taking it easy and getting plenty of sleep.
So, what is the best way to sleep after breast augmentation in Pittsburgh? Today, board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. James Fernau explores different sleeping positions and how they can affect recovery. Call now to schedule an assessment and learn why so many women trust us with breast enhancement.
Our "quick recovery" approach
We understand patients want to return to their lives as soon as possible after surgery. To help patients heal quickly and comfortably, we use smaller incisions and a gentle delivery of the implant. A long-acting local anesthetic can also ease post-surgical pain for 3 – 10 days. Dr. Fernau estimates a 24-hour recovery for most people.
Though recovery is short, it is still essential to rest and allow time for healing. Our experienced staff can provide detailed instructions on the best way to sleep, what support to use, and when to return to normal activities.
How to sleep post-breast augmentation
There are a few things to remember when sleeping after breast augmentation in Pittsburgh. First, sleep on your back in an elevated position as much as possible. This alleviates side effects like swelling and inflammation while preventing the implants from shifting.
Laying on your stomach or side places unnecessary pressure on the chest area and implants, so it is best to avoid these positions. Anyone concerned about the best way to sleep is encouraged to ask Dr. Fernau for guidance.
When can I exercise after breast augmentation?
Dr. Fernau will provide a compression bra to be worn for a short period after surgery. Compression garments support the breasts and help the skin adjust to its new contours.
Most women resume their daily routines within seven days of breast enhancement but avoid all forms of heavy exercise for 4 – 6 weeks. It takes about six months for the tissue to look and feel normal.
Additional tips for a smooth breast augmentation recovery
In addition to getting plenty of rest, patients in Coraopolis, PA should also:
- Sleep in a cool, dark room: A cool environment can reduce swelling and pain, and darkness promotes relaxation.
- Sleep by yourself if possible: Though it is tempting to sleep with a partner or pet, it is better to have uninterrupted sleep after surgery.
- Consider extra support: If you find it challenging to stay in one position for an extended period, a body pillow or recliner chair may be helpful.
- Don't forget to move: Get up and move around every few hours to prevent complications like blood clots. After waking from a restful sleep, walking is a great way to stay active.
- Listen to your body: Recovery times vary among patients, so take things slowly at first. Contact our office right away if you experience excessive pain or other worrisome symptoms.
Learn more about recovery after breast enhancement
We understand that each patient's recovery needs are unique, so board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. James Fernau takes a personalized approach to your care. For more information on the best way to sleep after surgery or to schedule an appointment in Coraopolis, PA, call Accent on Body Aesthetic Plastic Surgery & Medical Spa. We can provide guidance and support through every step of your breast augmentation in Pittsburgh.