What is breast asymmetry?
Pittsburgh plastic surgeon Dr. James Fernau offers numerous cosmetic breast surgeries for women desiring shapelier breasts. Some women visit our plastic surgery office because they wish to correct breasts they feel are “uneven”. Breast asymmetry is a common condition among women. It occurs when one breast is larger than the other. In most cases, the size difference between the two breasts may be so subtle that it isn’t noticeable to anyone other than the patient. In more severe cases; however, when one breast is a full cup size or more different in size than the other, corrective breast surgery may be necessary. Depending on the complexity of the case and the aesthetic goals of the patient, a number of procedures may be considered, including breast augmentation, a breast lift, or breast reduction. The goal is to create a symmetrical, natural appearance.
What are the benefits of breast asymmetry correction?
For those who are wanting to increase the size of their breasts and balance their aesthetic, breast asymmetry treatment in Pittsburgh, PA at Dr. James Fernau Plastic Surgery yield a large number of excellent benefits, including:
- Enhances cup size and volume
- Assists with reshaping breasts changed by motherhood, aging, or drastic weight loss
- Eliminates asymmetrical breast size
- Boosts confidence and view of self
- Lets you to enjoy a wider range of clothing
- Achieves noticeable, longitudinal outcomes
"Dr. Jim and his lovely staff, Sheila, Sherry, Cindy and Amber are the most wonderful health care team I’ve ever met! They are so kind and caring. They walked me through every step of the procedure and showed just as much concern for me at my post-op as they did at my initial consultation. Dr. Fernau is incredible at making you feel at ease and letting you know how much he appreciates you as a customer, not to mention highly skilled and knowledgeable. He definitely practices at the top of his license! I would give him and his practice 6 stars if possible!"- A.M. / Google / Mar 21, 2023
"I can’t say enough about Dr. Fernau! He is AMAZING! Extremely talented, really I just can’t say enough! And his staff is awesome as well! He also is just a really good person!😊"- M.B. / Google / Mar 05, 2023
"Wonderful man and amazing results!"- M.G. / Google / Mar 05, 2023
"Dr. Fernau & his staff were very accommodating, friendly and professional. I was a bit nervous but he & his staff comforted me with genuine compassion & a little laughter. I highly recommend!"- V.B. / Google / Mar 02, 2023
"Dr. Fernau and his staff are so kind and nice! I went in a little apprehensive, hoping to have my lips filled enough to bring back what I've lost in the past several years, and this procedure did NOT disappoint! I feel confident that Dr. Fernau truly listened to what I wanted, was gentle, and skillful. Special shout to Amber! Thank you sooo much!!"- M.S. / Google / Mar 02, 2023
How is breast asymmetry corrected?
It is more ideal to perform the procedure by making the larger breast smaller (reduction) compared to making the smaller breast larger (augmentation). The approach with breast asymmetry surgery depends on the surgeon’s assessment and recommendation once the patient is evaluated. Sometimes, several techniques may be incorporated during the surgery at once. Depending on the condition, nipple repositioning may also be performed — so that it is not out of proportion. There are also cases in which a secondary surgery may be necessary to fine-tune the shape and volume of the breasts.
There are many ways breast asymmetry can be corrected, including:
- Breast Implants: Some patients may have a mild case of asymmetry where the placement of breast implants can help even out the shape and size of the breasts. Both silicone and saline implants are options. In cases where asymmetry is diagnosed, a variation in the CCs of an implant will be used. This is quite common and produces nice results. If breast implants alone will solve the asymmetry, the patient must have good skin tone and limited sagging.
- Breast Reduction: If the patient opts to have the larger breast reduced, it will involve removing excess fat and skin until both breasts become even. This is generally the case for breasts that are severely asymmetrical. If the breast to be reduced is particularly large, a breast lift will supplement this procedure, resulting in a more lifted breast appearance.
- Breast Lift: Depending on the form of the breasts, one or two breasts may be treated with a lift. The procedure involves trimming away loose, sagging skin and lifting the remaining skin by closing the incisions with fine sutures. This may result in breasts that are more proportionate with one another.
- Fat Transfer: There are patients who prefer a natural increase in breast size to an implant. These patients may benefit from the fat transfer method. This approach uses fat harvested from a donor site on the patient’s body and reinstates the purified fat into the breasts by injection. The fat is injected gradually in layers to ensure that there is no appearance of wrinkles or uneven pockets.
What can I expect During/After Surgery?
Regardless of the corrective procedure that is chosen, it will be performed under general anesthesia at an accredited surgical facility. The recovery period varies depending on the surgical approach taken. In general following breast surgery, patients are able to get up and around but must limit activity for a couple of days. Most patients are back to a normal routine within 7-10 days, and exercise will be gradual at about 4-6 weeks. Results following breast surgery to correct asymmetry are gratifying for most patients and can help bring back self-confidence, especially when wearing tighter fitting clothes.
How much does breast asymmetry correction cost?
Breast surgery to correct asymmetry will vary depending on the technique used. The costs can range from $5,500 to $8,500 depending on if liposuction is performed, a lift, or the use of implants. If implants are used, there is about a $1,000 price difference between the saline and the silicone versions.
Breast Asymmetry FAQ
Is breast asymmetry common?
Surprisingly, breast asymmetry is a common condition. While breast implants alone are able to produce even, beautiful results for many patients, the other surgeries mentioned on this page can also create symmetrical breasts that last a lifetime. Patients who decide to have corrective surgery feel they no longer have to worry or feel anxiety about having limited clothing options to hide the asymmetry.
Can I expect scarring after breast asymmetry correction?
When it comes to any cosmetic procedure that requires incisions, scarring is ultimately a part of the process. Corrective surgery for breast asymmetry may include a breast lift in which excess skin is removed. In these cases, the scars will be visible. If implants only are used, the scars will be hidden, depending on the incision location (for example, under the natural fold of the breast, or within the armpit). For many, the result of this surgery to create even, natural-looking breasts become more important than the scarring.
What can cause uneven breasts?
There are many factors that may contribute to breast asymmetry, but the exact cause remains unknown. Hormonal changes, injuries on the chest area, or breastfeeding are believed to be contributors to asymmetrical breasts. There is also a condition called juvenile hypertrophy that causes one of the breasts to become severely out of proportion to the smaller breast.
Plan Your Procedure
- Average Cost
- $5,500 - $8,500
- Recovery Time
- 7-10 Days
- Average Procedure Time
- 2-4 Hours
- Post-op Follow-up
- 4-6 Weeks
- Procedure Recovery Location
Regain A Balanced Chest
Several factors can contribute to breast asymmetry. Thankfully, Dr. James Fernau can provide customized procedures that best fit your needs to offer optimal results. Contact us in Pittsburgh, PA, to learn more and schedule your initial consultation.